NIKIs Press Releases
NIKI summer schedule bucks industry trend with rapid growth
NIKI grew the number of passengers carried to its Vienna base by 42.7% in January 2009. This strengthened its resolve to press ahead with its expansion strategy despite the current harsh trading environment.
As Niki Lauda put it: “We are not wasting our time bemoaning the crisis. Instead, we are putting our energy into positioning ourselves as well as we can. With consumers and companies looking to save money, we are right in line with today’s trend with our cheap tickets, meaning that we can continue to drive our expansion ahead.”
After introducing new routes in 2009, with the inclusion of Vienna-Milan, Vienna-Stockholm and Vienna-Innsbruck in the schedule, NIKI is further extending its route network in summer 2009. Expansion is being driven by the addition to the fleet of two Embraer 190 type aircraft, due for delivery in May and June 2009, and a new Airbus A321 that is entering service in March 2009.
The main changes planned are:
- Doubling of flights from Vienna to Rome to two per day (except on Saturdays) in mid-June.
- Three flights per week on the Vienna-Malaga route from May.
- Stationing of an Airbus A320 in Graz, and start-up of five weekly flights from Graz to Palma with connections to the Iberian peninsula via Air Berlin’s Palma hub (17 destinations). New services to several holiday destinations such as Rhodes, Heraklion and Antalya from Graz, as well.
- Introduction of three weekly flights from Innsbruck to Palma.
- Rise in capacity on the City Shuttle routes to Frankfurt, Moscow and Zurich through increased use of the new Airbus A321 (212 seats).
- Across-the-board gains in capacity on holiday flights to Egypt, Greece and Turkey.
All this means that NIKI will be the only major airline based at Vienna Airport to make massive increases to its capacity.
As Niki Lauda put it: “Given our positive results and passenger growth of over 30% in 2008, we expect to expand our traffic share again this year. We are aiming to carry 12% of all passengers travelling to and from Vienna in 2009, taking our combined share with partner Air Berlin to over 20%. Behind this expansion is a growing team: we will be creating about 150 new jobs this year. By mid-year NIKI will be providing over 500 people with attractive employment.”
Tel: 0043 1 70 126 445